Prudential plc is an international financial services group with operations in Asia, the US, the UK, Continental Europe and Africa.
We recognise the importance of effectively managing health and safety and enhancing the health and wellbeing of our employees. This is achieved through the identification, elimination or control of risks to the health, safety and welfare our employees, business partners, customers and others who may be affected by our operations.
This policy statement applies to all Prudential Group companies, locations and activities, and takes account of the wide range of health and safety legislation under which our companies operate.
Our health and safety core principles
We believe that everyone has a role to play in achieving our health and safety goals. Our Health and Safety Policy is under pinned by three core principles:
- Ensuring that safety, health and wellbeing are integral to the way in which we manage our business and providing visible leadership that promotes positive behaviours;
- Each Business Unit, Local Business Unit and Group Function is to implement this Policy in full or develop and implement a local policy that demonstrates Health and Safety risks are understood and managed effectively and in a way which supports this Group Policy and the requirements of the Group Governance Manual; and
- Each Business Unit, Local Business Unit and Group Function is to allocate and communicate clear duties and responsibilities for safety, health and wellbeing at Board, Senior Management, Line Management and employee level to implement this Group Policy and any other local health and safety policy.
Our health and safety commitments
We commit to:
- Comply with health and safety legislation and standards to which the business is subject;
- Prevent injury and ill health by creating and maintaining a healthy and safe working environment through the identification of hazards and assessing and controlling the associated level of risk;
- Investigate those work-related accidents, incidents and occurrences of ill-health that do occur to identify both the immediate and root causes and take the necessary action to prevent such incidents from recurring;
- Communicate this Policy to all employees so that everyone is made aware of their individual health and safety obligations and those of the business;
- Provide health and safety related information, instruction and training to employees that is appropriate to their location, duties and responsibilities;
- Encourage our suppliers and contractors to adopt good industry practice in the management of health and safety. Where appropriate we will collaborate with our suppliers, contractors and business partners on schemes and initiatives to further enhance safety, health and wellbeing; and
- Continual improvement in our management of health and safety and health and safety performance.
Measuring and reporting on our health and safety performance
We will monitor and review our health and safety performance against our health and safety principles and commitments set out in this policy and reporting requirements set out in Group Reporting of the Group Governance Manual.
On an annual basis we will report on our health and safety performance and review this Policy to ensure that it remains relevant and appropriate.
The Prudential plc Board has overall responsibility for approving and reviewing this Policy.
Group Chief Executive